Missoula
46° F
Scattered Clouds
Scattered Clouds
Kalispell
50° F
Rain
Rain
Bozeman
51° F
Clear
Clear
Advertisement

Butte man rescued from early morning house fire

By KTVM Staff
Published On: Dec 24 2013 05:52:47 PM MST
Updated On: Dec 12 2013 04:27:49 PM MST
BUTTE, Mont. -

A Butte man rushed into a burning home this morning to rescue his neighbor from an early morning fire.

The fire broke out at 617 Iron Street right around 4 a.m. Fire crews had to close down and restrict traffic at the I-15 Iron Street exit for three and half hours while they battled the blaze.

When Jeffery Holm saw flames coming from his neighbor's attic, he rushed into the house to see if his neighbor, Dale Paul was okay.

"Just ran through the door and said Dale your house is on fire...time to get up," Holm said.

The fire started just after 4 a.m while home owner Dale Paul slept.

"It was all coming out through the roof," Holm said. "Everything on that fire was outside the house and Dale didn't know anything."

Paul told NBC Montana that he's lucky his neighbor saw the flames when he did. "I'm just glad he got up and saw the house was on fire," he said.

Paul grabbed two armfuls of guns and the firefighters went in and rescued his cat.

"The firemen came out and asked me what my cats name was," Paul said. "They got it out and I put it in the truck."

The fire took crews about two hours to contain.

"We had about three trucks," said Fire Marshal John Lasky. "A lot of our firefighters were called out and we were shuffling people all night because of weather conditions."

Lasky told us firefighters had to tear apart the roof to get to the fire.

"It was really tough getting up there," he said. "Plus we had to pulled the interior ceiling to get to the attic area."

He suspects an electrical short sparked the fire, possibly from an extension cord plugged in to a motor home.

Now Paul is seeing what items from the house he can salvage.

"Just got to start digging around and see what i got left," he said.

Lasky told us the home is a total loss. Fire crews were able to reopen the Iron Street exit right around 10:30 this morning.