Police say shooting victim shot himself
Updated On: Jan 06 2014 08:28:32 PM MST
New information on the shooting we told you about earlier today: Missoula police just released new information that the man who says he was shot in a drive-by shooting actually shot himself.
50-year-old Michael T. Burnett is being charged with false reports to law enforcement, a misdemeanor, and unlawful discharge of a firearm within the city of Missoula, also a misdemeanor.
UPDATE: The following information was sent out by the Missoula Police Department.
At about 4:00 a.m. on January 6, 2014, Missoula Police Officers responded to the 1500 block of Cooley Street to investigate a shooting. Responding officers found the reporting party had been shot in the leg and reported that someone had fired two or three shots from a light colored vehicle similar to a Gran Torino with fancy wheels, before speeding away.
An investigative team was assigned to the incident. The investigation conducted by Missoula Police Detectives indicates there was no one else involved and there is no on-going risk to public safety. The firearm believed to be used was located on the property of the reporting party and was seized by detectives.
The reporting party was 50 year old Michael T. Burnett, and he is being charged with False Reports to Law Enforcement, a Misdemeanor and Unlawful Discharge of a firearm within the City of Missoula, a Misdemeanor.