Both Missoula and Kalispell have scheduled celebrations to commemorate Martin Luther King, Jr Day.
Here's a look at what is planned in Missoula:
5pm Rally at Caras Park:Youth Voices; Speaking Up and Speaking Out
- Vance Home Gun of the Salish Institute
- Makenna Alick from Washington Middle School
- Trail Bundy, President of Kyi-Yo Pow Wow
- Jessy Stobart of Big Sky High
6pm Community Celebration at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, 202 Brooks
- Performance by Lewis and Clark Peace Choir
- Honoring Nelson Mandela by Floyd Kumahlo
- Keynote Address: “The Power of Visions” by Dr. Paul Gordon Lauren, Regents Professor for the UM
- Presentation of awards for the MLK Youth Art and Essay Contest: Mckayla Hansen and Draven Roe
- Music by Andre Floyd
The evening will close with a community meal in the basement of the church. MLK Day Community Celebration events are organized by NCBI Missoula, the MLK Day Planning Committee, and many community sponsors. Donations are welcome at the event.
Kalispell's event is planned for Tuesday, at 7:30 pm at Flathead High School. Here's information from the group's flyer:
"Join Love Lives Here as we honor Martin Luther King Day on Tuesday, January 21 at 7:30 at Flathead High School. Our program, Let Freedom Sing: Songs That Changed America will be led by master of ceremonies Bill Rossiter, featuring performances by the founders of the Alpine Theatre Project Luke Walrath, Betsi Morrison and David Ackroyd, the Crown of the Continent Choir, a joint Glacier and Flathead High School Choir Ensemble, musician Luke Dowler, and the St. Charles Women's Choir. Free admission, but donations welcomed."