Missoula woman dies in Mother's Day fire
Updated On: May 12 2014 11:12:04 PM MDT
A mixture of medical oxygen and cigarettes turned Mother’s Day into a day of tragedy for a Missoula area family.
Big Sky High School senior Colter Miller was working in a family field along the 6400-block of Mullan Road Sunday evening, when he spotted smoke coming from the family home. He knew his grandmother was inside. Miller raced to the house, punched through a window screen and pulled his grandmother, 67-year-old Karen Miller from her burning bedroom.
For critical minutes until first responders arrived, Miller worked to save his grandmother. The fire and smoke proved to be too much. Karen Miller later died at a Missoula hospital.
Three people who entered the home were treated for minor burns and smoke inhalation.